I highly recommend the above podcast from Write Now. In this episode, the host, Sarah Werner takes a deep dive into the various pros and cons of listening to music while writing. You might think that this is a straightforward subject until you hear Sarah out. She has brought a bit of research into the topic, exploring when and how and why music works on artists as they create.
The episode begins with Sarah’s usual preamble that updates listeners on her own writing habits. To get straight to the subject of music, skip ahead about 8-and-a-half minute mark.
Take a look at the following references she brings to the table:
- “The Secret Sauce Behind Your Productivity Playlist“, by Dan Nosowicz on Medium
- “The Emotions That Make Us More Creative“, from the Harvard Business Review
- Jocelyn K. Glei on calm, ambient music vs. high-energy, upbeat music for focusing
- My Coffee Break episode with Jocelyn K. Glei
- Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight playlist